The 8.5 x 16 is by far one of the most versatile sizes of enclosed cargo trailers that Renown carries. Whether for personal use, a business, or a combination of both, this trailer can reliably get your cargo where it needs to go. When you are zeroing in on the venerable trailer that is the 8.5 x 16, there’s several important considerations that should be pondered prior to purchase. In our continuing spotlight series, today’s post will focus on everything a buyer needs to know for picking the perfect Renown 8.5 x 16 trailer.
8.5 x 16 Enclosed Aluminum Trailer Quick Stats:
- Cost: $4,075 Standard
- Overall Length: 19.5 feet with standard tongue
- Width: 96” wall-to-wall in interior and 84” between wheel wells
- Weight Empty: 2,800 pounds
- Exterior Height: 96”
- Payload Capacity: 4,200 to 11,200 pounds
One Trailer, Many Applications
The 8.5 x 16 offers a great payload capacity in a relatively small package. It is large enough to easily carry a full loadout for a lawn care business or act as a mobile tool crib for a general contractor and their crew. The 8.5 x 16’s heavy-duty ramp door w/ E-Z Spring Assist and 16″ Flap translates into being able to drive mowers, tractors, and motorcycles on and off with ease. Even hauling a prized show-car presents no problem for this workhorse trailer. Its size is an advantage, allowing for good-sized loadouts to be pulled by whatever vehicle has the towing capacity and not just large trucks.
Closer Look: Standard Features
Many of the standard features that come with our 8.5 x 16 may not be entirely familiar to you. Let’s go over some of the basics:
- 36” RV Style Side Door with Flush Lock: a wide door with an unobtrusive flush lock makes both securing and retrieving gear in the front of the trailer a lot easier – along with ingress and egress – without having to put down the rear ramp.
- Sand Foot on Jack: this special jack has a large metal plate at its base allowing for the ability to drop the trailer virtually anywhere. The sand jack’s “foot” will prevent the jack from sinking down in soft earth.
- 2 5/16” Coupler: the coupler is what attaches the trailer to the vehicle towing it. 2 5/16” is a standard trailer ball size with which to marry the vehicle to the trailer.
- 24” ATP Stone Guard: trailer stone guards are the metal plates you see on the front and sides of the trailer. They offer superior protection and great aesthetics for years to come.
- 3500-pound Drop Leaf Spring Axles w/ Electric Brakes on Both Axles: these beefy axles can handle a lot on their own but combined offer an incredible payload capacity. Electronic braking on both axles means safer stops and more control.
- 7 Way Round Bargman Plug: this is what connects your vehicle’s electrical system to the trailer’s. The Bargman Plug is one of the toughest on the market with heavy-duty insulated cable, self-cleaning contacts, and beefed up overmolds to provide protection from the environment and corrosive substances.
- 4′ No Show Beaver Tail: this is an extension with a gentle slope that aids in loading and unloading of equipment, with, or even without, the use of the rear ramp.
- Z-Tech Undercoating: knowing our trailers need to perform in all kinds of conditions, we have an undercoating applied that protects against moisture, rust, and other corrosion for years.
- Thermacool Roof Liner: sounding more appropriate in a space shuttle than an enclosed trailer, the Thermacool roof liner takes advantage of phase changes to keep temperatures cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter within the trailer body.
8.5 x 16 Enclosed Trailer Weight and Payload Capacity
For most people, a trailer is only as good as what you are able to haul in it. Whether that’s all your kitchen equipment as a mobile concession trailer, all the gear necessary to run a pet grooming trailer, or anything else you may require, your enclosed trailer needs to safely haul what you need from A to B, mile after mile, and year after year. The 8.5 x 16 is able to haul quite a load. Empty the unit weighs 2,800 pounds. Most large cars, vans, and light SUVs are able to tow up to around 3,500 pounds, with many running in the 6,000-pound and 7,000-pound range. This means no matter what you drive, you should still have ample room to load up and safely tow your 8.5 x 16 enclosed cargo trailer.
Payload capacity is how much weight your trailer can safely haul. Our 8.5 x 16 has several tiers of payload capacity available depending on the options you choose. Payload capacities for this trailer range from 4,200 pounds to 11,200 pounds.
Single Axle (SA) vs. Tandem Axle (TA)
Single-axle (SA) trailers have one axle connecting two wheels on either side of the trailer. They are light and maneuverable but do not have the same payload capacity as the stouter tandem axle (TA). Our 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer comes standard as a TA. This means that two separate axles connect two different sets of wheels. This helps better distribute a hefty load so the trailer remains stable throughout the journey.
Best Time to Buy a Trailer
When looking for an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer for sale, you may consider that your best times to buy are around the holidays when the dealer is running “specials”. Unfortunately, other dealers will sometimes raise prices artificially just to decrease them during a sale and make it seem like a fantastic bargain is to be had. We do not believe in gimmicks so offer all of our trailers for sale at competitive prices every day – simply because we believe it’s the right thing to do. However, every month we run a special which gives us a chance to showcase a different manufacturer’s trailer and our customers the chance to purchase an enclosed trailer at a significantly discounted rate.
Consider Your Options
Our 8.5 x 16 enclosed cargo trailer can come with such a wide variety of different options and accessories, the combinations are virtually endless. Whatever application you wish to employ your trailer, we can find the perfect complement of options like larger axles, beefy electrical packages, and custom wheels, tires, and colors. We also carry lines of custom trailers that come already set-up for the specific requirements of the job. Our custom cargo trailers include options like setting up your trailer to run concessions or as a dog grooming trailer.
After picking out just the right trailer with all of the options and accessories and the perfect color and wheels to match, now comes the fun part – trailer financing. Actually, through our preferred financing services partners, the financing process can be an absolute breeze. Rock Solid Funding is one of the financial services pros we count on to help bring a seamless financing process to our customers. From the initial application, through approval and funding, we know our financing partners to be companies that conduct themselves with integrity. Got bad or limited credit? No problem. Rock Solid and our other partners can work with almost any situation. Rates and terms will vary depending on creditworthiness, though, so any small steps you can take to improve your credit now could mean saving thousands in interest over the life of the loan.
Why You Should Buy Your 8.5 x 16 Enclosed Trailer From Renown
Let’s face it, you have dozens of choices when it comes to trailer dealerships, so what makes us any different? “The Renown Difference”, as we say, is tangible. It defines who we are at work and how we conduct ourselves. We see our work as a chance to give back a little of what God has blessed us with. If we get the opportunity to shine just a little light in our dark world, we will have been entirely successful as a business. With this as our corporate culture, you can believe the attitude of our team is entirely different. Work isn’t about just coming in, doing your time, and punching out. Work is about truly doing your best, doing what’s right, and doing that every day no matter if anyone is looking or not.
Our sales team will take the time to understand exactly what you need out of your trailer and match you up perfectly with the trailer that does just that and also stays within your budget. We’ll give it everything we’ve got to match you up to the trailer you need, but, if we can’t provide that, we’ll just as soon send you to a competitor over trying to force you into something that isn’t truly right. Come experience the Renown Difference for yourself.